George OAKES – Down The Ages
As rightly quoted by Peter Gabriel, “All of those cars were once just a dream in somebody’s head” and in the contemporary global scenario, the automobile spare supply industry has positioned a strong foothold with an added motto of serving the humanity. Started as “GARAGE” by Mr. George Henry Augustine Oakes, it was re-christened after change of ownership to the Amalgamations Group.
After a short period of governance by the Simpsons Co.Ltd, George Oakes Ltd., came into existence in 1941. The company’s kismet and affluence ascended after its acquisition by Mr.Ananthakrishnan in 1945. George Oakes acquired the operations of car dealership operations by Gordon Woodroffe Motors marked its entry into the automobile business as the sole dealers for Ford cars in South India.
The organization located itself in Chennai (Madras then) and celebrated the pride of being the pioneers, sole exclusive dealers of Ford cars in South India after procurement of the same from Gordon Woodroffe. With relinquishment of Ford from India in 1956, the late 1950s and early 1960s witnessed George Oakes pioneering the sales of FOMOCO Genuine Spares alongside others procured against import licenses. By the 1960’s the organization had already forayed into automobile spare sales in the Northern and Western India. By the millennium, apart from hosting a huge supply of automobiles and dealership for MF / TAFE tractors in the southern districts of Tamil Nadu, its horizon extended to genuine TATA MOTORS spare sales towards the year’s end. Liaisons with Mahindra & Mahindra and Bosch Ltd.. followed suit.